INTERNSHIPS AT PAANI
The Paani Internship Program
Paani was started by the children of immigrants. We recognize and acknowledge the sacrifice our parents made to leave their home country to provide a better life for us. For us, it has become a responsibility to give back in whatever way we can. It is the reason that every dollar that is donated goes directly toward the intended donation. It is the reason that Paani does not keep a single dollar. It is the reason that at Paani, you can create tangible change.
As an organization, we believe that the best way to provide practical solutions toward some of the most pressing public health problems across the world is to empower the brightest minds with the resources they need to make a difference. Think of Paani as a platform where you are immediately exposed to every facet of a nonprofit. Interns at Paani are not sidelined, but instead encouraged to take initiative and join our most meaningful projects that push for a better future for marginalized communities in low-income countries. At Paani, interns have the opportunity to immerse themselves in disciplines ranging from international policy, creating WASH solutions, community organizing, grant writing, while still working to gain better insight into the societal impact of public service. At Paani, you facilitate change.
Why join the Paani Project?
Impact. Tangible impact. An internship with Paani allows interns to get into the intricacies of nonprofit work. You will see how each level contributes to our overall cause and understand the importance of a multidisciplinary team. Here, your voice matters. All part-time opportunities are available throughout the year for all students to apply – undergraduate or graduate, all majors, and even high school students. Interns can earn academic credit or community service hours, or simply enrich their experience and grow their global perspective.
A complete application must include all of the following, with all spaces completed with the most updated information.
- A resume that lists your most relevant and updated profile and contact information; and
- Samples of your work. Different departments may require you to submit at least one of the following samples:
- Writing sample: This could include published articles, press releases, blogs, or previously submitted school paper that reflects a working knowledge on humanitarian causes and advocacy. An original essay will also be considered. [length: 1-5 pages; if longer, please select an excerpt].
Academic credit and community service hours
Interns may receive academic credit or community service hours if arrangements are made between Paani and the intern’s school. It is the student’s responsibility to research the requirements, work with the supervising director to tailor the internship, and ensure that appropriate forms are completed if they wish to receive academic credits from their respective institutions.
Applicants should be contacted within 14 business days of sending their completed applications. If an applicant is identified as the right fit for Paani, an interview will be scheduled. Candidates can be asked for additional documents to complement their applications prior to their interview if extra information is needed to make a decision. Note that a rejection is not a rejection of you as an individual, but means that there were many highly qualified individuals that cycle and we, unfortunately, cannot hire them all.
Internships are offered throughout the year and can be arranged to accommodate academic schedules based on the student’s availability. Internships are approximately 10 weeks long but can be longer depending on the intern’s availability. Hours can range from 10-20 hours, depending on the project that the intern is joining and the intern’s availability. Please include your availability in your cover letter.
Individuals who are selected but are available to complete less than the required hours stated above will be invited to join Paani’s volunteer network. Please email [email protected] for more information on the different levels of involvement as a volunteer.
Questions or concerns
For general inquiries about the internship process, please email us at [email protected]
Communications & Social Media Intern
The Communications and Social Media Intern will work closely with the Communications Coordinator to create content for various publications and develop social media campaigns.
- Write, collect, and edit content for our web page and social media
- Answer emails and messages on all of our social media
- Coordinate Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter posts through Hootsuite
- Manage and edit our annual journal
- Develop social media strategies
- Excellent command of written English
- Possess strong logical reasoning skills
- Demonstrated ability to craft strategic, compelling messaging for target audiences
- Ability to work under strict time constraints
- Background in WordPress if managing our webpage
- Must be willing to work for a minimum of 6 months
- Must be able to work 10-20 hours per week
Paani Legal Intern
The Paani Legal Intern will gain an inside look at Paani’s legal work in Pakistan, including assisting with the formation of government contracts and MOUs.
- Screening potential partners that want to work with Paani
- Drafting of multiple Memorandum of understanding (MOU)s
- Assist in handling federal compliance issues
- Assisting in research of both Pakistan and US Law pertaining to multiple topics
- Other tasks as assigned
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or civil rights work
- Strong research and writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and phone skills
- Ability to work well in team environments
- Interest in Nonprofit Law & Management
- Undergraduate students are encouraged to apply, especially those interested in law school or a career in international policy
- Minimum time requirement of one semester
Internal Management Intern
Paani is looking for an intern with extreme attention to detail to coordinate logistics within Paani. One of the most important internship positions.
- Coordinate chapter trainings
- Develop training materials for Paani chapters
- Assist in the creation and dissemination of publications and resources for chapters
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Assist with initiatives to build and expand the capacity of Paani chapters in
- Community service
- Sophomore status (or greater) at an accredited university
- Enthusiastic, optimistic, focused, and motivated
- Detail-oriented and creative; self-starter and can work under minimum supervision
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, analytical and communication skills
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- 10 hours/week with a flexible schedule.
Marketing Intern (Publicist)
The Marketing intern will work to aide in successfully managing our relationship with multiple social media influencers and create press releases
- Make regular outreach phone calls to multiple social media influencers, nonprofits, and news outlets
- Assist in locating and booking outreach tables at local community events to increase Paani’s visibility
- Work on a project that will be on-going- focus on community outreach and education
- Writing press releases when there are updates of our work
- Creating our monthly newsletter
- Book Paani workshops and speaking engagements
- Maintain a current calendar of upcoming community events
- Help to plan activities to engage current interns and volunteers
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Friendly and outgoing (comfortable speaking in public)
- Demonstrates the ability to follow through on various on-going and newly assigned tasks
- Must be passionate about community engagement
- Must have flexible evening hours
- Must be able to work part-time (10-20 hours a week)
We encourage applicants to seek outside funding or a stipend for this program if available from your school or another entity.
In complying with the letter and spirit of applicable laws and pursuing its own goal of diversity, Paani is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to race, age color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.